Saturday, March 6, 2010

televisions in trees

daily melody: Sufjan Stevens "Chicago"


source

Through a rough week i managed to finish my 20 page senior capstone paper and sent it electronically with hopes and prayers that I will make it through until graduation, and optimistically....graduate. It's been a very hard journey.

As I was research artists who worked with our iconic and very Americana friend the television in their works, primarily through installations. Of course my favorite, Nam June Paik, came up and also this very interesting Swiss artist, Pauline Julier, as seen above in Geneva, Switzerland. I could not locate any amount of substantial information on her, but my love for her piece still remains. I absolutely ADORE it!


I did find this nifty flickr 'er with some knowledge on it:


[ Julier's piece, "Arbre à Palabres" [above] is the baobab tree, or more metaphorically "the talking tree". Traditionally, in western African culture it is the tree beneath which the elders meet to talk, and has over time become a symbol for open and unrestricted communication and the exchange of beautiful ideas.

Pauline Julier's work takes this idea and adapts it to the urban environment. Here is an extract from the description that appeared beneath the work :

"En s'approchant de l'arbre on voit sur les écrans des personnes du quartier, des espaces de l'environnement urbain alentour. On entend une voix, elle raconte une anecdote. Le spectateur cherche quel portrait parle. L'espace privé se mélange alors à l'espace public. L'arbre devient un arbre à palabres, centre des paroles du quartier, nébuleuse virtuelle de paroles et d'images."
]

thanks!

It makes me want to compose lots of my Surrealist-like poems.

Televisions in trees.
Is quite an inspiration to me.






note: I always return to Little Miss Sunshine. It is one of my all-time favorite movies and the soundtrack was lovely. You will understand when you listen to the daily melody.

No comments:

Post a Comment