Sunday, March 7, 2010

album appreciation: new young pony club

daily melody: New Young Pony Club "The Optimist"

New Young Pony Club
Fantastic Playroom 2007


New Young Pony Club is a five member band from London, England under the influences from post-punk and new wave music.

The band, recently formed in 2005, is still pretty young but exudes much promise of more albums to come! Vocalist Tahita Bulmer and producer Andy Spence, who share a love of punk rock and dance music, founded the beginnings of the band when they began writing together, originally only for Bulmer to perform. Once a decision was made to form a proper band, the duo recruited the Lou (keyboards), Igor Volk (bass), and Sarah Jones (drums).

New Young Pony Club released two limited edition 7" singles ("The Get Go" and "Ice Cream") on indie label, Tirk Recordings before being discovered by Australian label, Modular Recordings for a worldwide deal.

The band's name came from lead singer Bulmer's desire to be part of a club or team at school. Her original idea for the band name was the more concise "pony club" which she describes as "quirky and kinky and fun". A pre-existing Irish band had already claimed the name, and the prefix "New Young" was added to reflect that the band are "a newer, younger and kinkier pony club.

source

These guys are one of my favorite bands [though I have acquired quite a list of them!] When I first discovered New Young Pony Club I became addicted to the poppy beat of their music that was different, not cookie-cutter, and very singable. Bulmer's voice is fantastic, in my opinion, and very distinct which is one of the reasons why I love it so!

I would often drive around with my partner in crime, Mandi, to their songs and sing out loud to their sassy, often femme fetale feeling lyrics. They are worthy of great and peppy driving music and for entertaining. I feel sexy singing to New Young Pony Club.source

source

Strangely enough, the two images I found most aesthetically and visually appealing to me were both very red. Powerfully red.


.....New Young Pony Club also just recently [...of March 1st] released a new album, The Optimist as well!

2 comments:

  1. These guys look smashing! I will have to check them out! What songs do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ice-cream" is one of my faves! Check out their myspace for their new stuff. It's not disappointing

    ReplyDelete