Friday, May 21, 2010

...it still drips...

current tune: Gotan Project "Epoca"

My living space is my studio space...my art is put everywhere....whether put aside on tables or open sketchbooks sporadically placed about... or torn sheets of drawing paper tacked to the walls as references and/or inspiration. I really am quite thankful for my little Nikon so that I can share all the drawings and things I create or paint...on.

some work:

in-progress drawing started a couple days ago.
The original crow drawing that inspired me to create the prismacolor illustration that I had made into postcards for the opening of my senior exhibition.A collage piece created over this past summer of computer chips dancing with dollar signs [you get the hint]. Some of the collaged pieces need to be tended to...finished, but needs mending.


As a project for one of my courses [Graphic Forms] this past spring 2010 semester we were instructed to choose a specific location of wall along a long and narrow corridor down in the basement of one of the buildings near a pretty neglected studio/classroom. We were to turn our everyday or personal doodles into a mural without a limitation or expectation of 2-dimension or three. The basis of this course was very open, very liberal, and pushed the cognitive abilities of what it means to draw. I loved the course...and of course the professor, who like other genuinely caring people, has been very caring and wonderful during this year despite good and bad circumstances.

The entirety of the corridor [as well as the stairwell] were covered with various interpretations and meanings of personal doodles, likes, and interests that were 2D, 3D, and both. I chose to go with the progression and "flow" of how my illustrations have coming. I began sketching rapidly, questioning myself [while stepping back and forward numerous times for better looks and angles] as I drew straight from my mind right on the spot. I didn't know what the specific subject matter qould entail, but I was ok with that. Through the course of this year I have the advantageous opportunities to try different methods of working on my art and projects; straying from my past routine of sketching to death before creating.

My lovely Roma-gypsy-was the end result.
Spinning her continually growing purple hair into spools of thread.
Unfortunately, by the time I got back down to the Coleman studio and the corridor...a pile of shit had accumulated in front of it. I'll just have to bother my lovely photo love, Shanna for her photos of the mural.I was told Roma was Ukrainian for gypsy, though spelled as poma instead. Even if I am incorrect, she is still my mystical Ukrainian gypsy woman.

Lastly, I been diligently painting away at my door tonight-begining the drips and getting ever so closer to completion! Nicholas generously moved "my canvas" up into the apartment so I could keep with the creative flow into the night, despite the sunshine. I've been working on every bit of it outside up until this point. I'm hoping to have both sides finished by Monday morning.

progress [to date!]:

My ultimate goal is to have the door painted, finished, and set to be tied to the roof of my Merc to be transported to its outdoor space. I need to get my butt moving and finish this piece and the 2+ large boxes of pink plastic lawn flamingos that still need to be "teared up".


can't stop creating.

won't stop being an artist.


p.s. - happy 30th birthday, Pac-man!

4 comments:

  1. I don't have an adapter for my memory card - what email can I directly send your mural pictures to? They're not great quality to make gigantic, but they should be decent 8x10 prints for portfolio work as necessary (I've got like 6 total, one of which is the background on my phone because I love it so much)

    Lemme know and I'll immediately email them from my phone <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. caltastrophe7@gmail.com

    :]

    thank you sooooo much, lovey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love your drawing style. And that door is looking AWE-some!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your illustrations are REALLY fucking cool.

    ReplyDelete