Thursday, May 20, 2010

pink isn't dead...

current tune: Lady Gaga "Poker Face" (Dave Aude Remix)

A_r_T___U_P_d_a_T_e !!

Photographed and represented through progress:
I am a girl who has discovered the beauty of spray paint early on when painting everyday objects funky colors with a smooth even coat. This little bit began when I was in elementary/middle school when I found out my father had some and would spontaneously decide to re-color our flower pots blue with a gold trim, or a sketchbook cover gold, when I did not need it for a school project.

My father introduced me to the beauty of adding a bit of color when I needed help with school projects...and I do believe one of the first I can recall was an Iroquois longhouse I constructed on a piece of plywood. A Native American project was expected for every 4th grader in the elementary school I went in to help in the learning of the great people who lived in New York State before me...and who treated it better as well.

My father helped strip bark off wood my grandfather had given to us from his woodlot up north for the covering of the longhouse. He also assisted in the imperative "realistic" dirt and grass coloring of the plywood as the base for this project [and how I would carry down the street to school to present] since I was so young. The spray paint was perfect for the objection we were aiming for, and it was a great diagram-even set with my plastic Disney Pocahontas figures to finish it off.

To this day I love my spray paint for covering the everyday objects I needed colored and personified. The above photographs are one piece to the outdoor sculpture I'm creating while I finish creating tears for the 32 flamingos I had ordered to my apartment, and the larger-than-life size cake I have yet to make [not edible of course]. My aim for this piece is to create an outdoor space where this pink painted drippy door is plopped in the earth [to serve as an entryway] to the comical interaction of drippy crying flamingos [mainly on french bonbons created by styrofoam cubes covered in plaster] carrying saucers of cake slices from a giant drippy cake within a grassy space between two buildings [South Campus A & B].

Any and all ideas or comments are welcomed for this piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment